Content is King
How many times have you heard this saying? Any business that wants to become a success online will surely have heard of this multiple times.
There is a simple reason why.
With the right content, a website can certainly secure the top rankings for its search terms. For this reason alone, content writing can be an invaluable skill to master. This guide to content writing will help you do that.
Furthermore, turning into a content author is a satisfying profession. Envision a customer saying 'your blog entry helped us improve our conversion rate by 10 percent' or a user remarking on your post 'this was incredibly useful, and I understood it straight away'.
The greatest obstacle that the vast majority who are keen on taking up content writing face is the start.
Content is as significant as the structure and style of your site since it drives search results, expands traffic to your page and builds up your reputation as an industry leader. What's more, in the present world, both quality and amount decide your ability to leverage content for business results.
After just about 10 years as a Content Writer, I set out to compose this guide to content writing. Truly, I consider it a challenge, since I believe that it is impossible to teach somebody how to write. After all, the most significant characteristic of being a Writer is the point of view.
To write, you need to think. You simply need to figure out how to utilize the most ideal words and methods to put forward your thoughts.
In this period of data overload, you will run over various tips and deceives to begin your vocation as a Content Writer. In any case, the key is to limit it down to the most significant ones. In this guide to content writing, I will take you through the way toward arranging your jumbled thoughts and ideas, placing it into lovely words that is readable and promotes your brand.
Learn To Write like a Pro
This is a great time to start making content.
However, we need more than just written words. We're talking significant, innovative, drawing-in content that really gets read. Every step here will help you deliver great content writing
Also, that is actually what you'll get in this guide to content writing. Here we will discuss the main stages of the process, inside and out and with explicit models telling you the best way to transform your thought into a completed bit of content.
All things considered: In this guide to content writing, we talk mainly about how to compose content. That doesn't mean we figure you should make blog posts only or that one piece of content is better than another.
It's simply that every kind of content has its own process but there are similarities. The means you take to introduce your thoughts in a video are equivalent to what you'd use in an article. It's just the process that things change.
So regardless of what sort of content you intend to make, the procedures you learn in this section can help. Follow these steps, regardless of what sort of content you need to make, and you'll wind up with highly esteemed content that gets your work noticed.
In the event that you've contemplated writing, you may perceive this part of the content writing guide as the writing process.
That is on the grounds that not every content creator view themselves as journalists. Be that as it may, each time you produce another bit of content or develop a content strategy— regardless of whether it's a blog post, webcast or video — you follow a similar procedure of sorting out your thoughts and finding the correct words to communicate.
You're just restricted by your own inventiveness and creativity.
Whenever you sit down to create another bit of content, you'll utilize these means. You won't generally work through them all together, and some of the time you'll bounce to and fro between steps. Be that as it may, the best content has typically experienced every one of the steps mentioned below:
- Choose your topic and approach
We will now take a look at each in greater detail in this guide to content writing
Choose Your Topic & Approach
Before you start, you need to have a good content strategy in place.
In some cases, you will already have a detauiled idea, with an extraordinary point of view . Be that as it may, that is uncommon. Our guide to content writing will help you overcome this.
Most thoughts begin as a vague point, and you should rub them and play with them until you think of a thought worth writing about.
Take a look at your point, the goal as well as any keywords you have recorded for the web content. The target and catchphrases will surely limit your choices for building up the thought. Be that as it may, they'll additionally coordinate your reasoning.
You will likely locate the correct method to discuss the theme, first, to connect with your readers. Secondly, it will help you to assist you with accomplishing your business objectives. After all, you are writing web content
On the off chance that the primary and main research or thought gathering has been done, you will have a head start on the content writing process.
In the event that the sum total of what you have is a general thought or expansive subject, you have to limit your methodology.
When writing is difficult, it's generally in light of the fact that you're attempting to pack a lot of data into too little a space. To shield that from occurring, ensure you slender your concentrate now.
Attempt to consider one part of the subject that should be secured or one inquiry you will reply. Keep reading our guide to content writing to learn more.
In the first place, look the Internet for other blogs and web content. Read and examine how they have presented the point and understand what others have composed on the same.
In some cases, a subject becomes a dominant topic in the internet for some time. Various bloggers and thought leaders and business contribute their ideas and viewpoints to the topic. Understanding what they're stating can assist you with narrowing down your theme. Attempt to discover a new point that fits into the previously occurring discussion while offering something new.
Your new point is sure to give a unique edge to discussing your theme.
Try not to reuse content created by different brands. Google assesses uniqueness just as value when positioning your content. In the event that it's excessively like existing content (yours or different brands'), it could be considered "copy content."
In the event that a unique point doesn't ring a bell, proceed onward to another task to let your mind stew on it for an hour or two. Here and there you'll think of your best thoughts when you're planning something irrelevant for your concern.
How to Research for Content Writing?
Having a content writing or content marketing strategy is vital if you want success. This applies to the research phase as well. Here is how you do it.
Begin by copying the topic and pasting it into a new document at the very top. This will help keep you stay focused on your chosen topic for content creation as you research.
Next, start a search online for your primary and main keyword.
We tend to prefer Google, but you can surely use your favorite search engine.
Type your primary keyword in the Google search bar and look at the types of articles that show up in the SERPs. You will want to check what other people and businesses are saying about the topic you have chosen. However, now, you are searching for data and information that suits and matches with your message. This way you will be able to reference it later in your own piece of content:
The aim is to get data that allows you to do the following
- To back up and support what you are saying.
- To help you find and polish an idea off of.
- To deliver an opposing point of view from that of your own.
Read or, at least, skim the various articles on different authoritative websites.
You’re looking for things like facts, statistics, quotes, or just new ideas that can help in the development your topic.
Add your own thoughts.
You must understand that research should never replace the ideas you have. It should only strengthen and give credibility to your statements. So add your own thoughts to the researched facts you’ve collected for quality content writing.
Organize your ideas
At this point of content creation strategy, you should have a narrow topic and some ideas of how to develop that topic. It’s time to start organizing your ideas.
At its most fundamental level, all content tends to have the following structure:
- Introduction: Get the attention of the readers and mention them what details and information they will get on if they continue reading.
- Body: Deliver on the guarantee you made in the introduction.
- Close: Here, summarize and take everything back to your central point. If it is possible, add a section that explains how the details benefit the readers.
- Call to action: Here, tell people what they have to do straightaway.
Figure out what you’re trying to say.
There’s quite a difference between simply a talking about your topic and making a valid point about it. So far, you may have only just mentioned a broad topic. However, that won’t be enough when it comes to writing.
- Find 3 or more supporting points or statements that help prove or improve your main point.
- In case you’re composing an opinion or an informational blog post, 3 will be enough.
- In case you’re making a how-to post, an ebook, or a list blog post, you may require or have as many points as you need or want.
- For the longer types of content, you may need over 10 to 20 supporting points or ideas, each of which will make up a chapter.
Create a general outline for the content
Under your point, write out your chosen supporting statements.
These don’t need to be finished or well-written. In fact, they can only be just a word or even a phrase. It is sort of like the rough ideas and points you developed during the earlier Research phase.
Arrange these points and statements in a clear logical order.
The statements can be listed in a chronological order, in the form of an ordered list, or in the form of a logical progression of the points or ideas.
Consider this list as your working outline for the finished content creation.
As you haven’t started writing anything yet, it is easy to examine the basic structure of the content by simply looking at the outline. If the outline isn’t arranged logically, this is the time to organize and rearrange the points.
Checking nothing more than just the headline and the supporting points and statements:
- Are you telling something that is unique?
- Are you offering a fresh and new perspective on the chosen topic?
- Are all supporting statements relevant to the chosen topic?
- Are you just making one point only, or are you trying to make a few multiple points? In the latter case, narrow the focus to a single point.
- Are you having enough statements for supporting and research for proving your chosen point?
If you are unable to come up with a properly organised research, contact Cogito Software to help
Write an Attractive Headline
The headline ultimately determines whether your readers will actually read the rest of your quality content. If the headline doesn’t spark any interest, stir their emotions or encourage the reader to want to learn about your topic more, you simply are not going to achieve the results desired with your written content.
At Cogito, our professional quality content writing service take the guesswork out of creating effective headlines by the use of proven techniques and strategies for driving traffic. Learn more now!
Create a Hook That Grabs Their Attention.
You have only 3 seconds to keep your readers hooked after your headline. As such, the first sentence also ends up playing a role in ascertaining if they read the rest of the content. In other words, the content should arrest the reader’s mind and effortlessly lead them into the first point you make.
Write in a Completely Unique Voice
The content you distribute is the voice of your business and it must be unique to the personality of your company. It’s crucial to adjust the style of your writing to your chosen target audience, brand persona and business goals. Create your own content style guide to help you improve.
Optimize Digital Content
The best content for the digital medium typically is made up of short paragraphs, bulleted lists and short sentences. The fact is tht digital content must also be fully optimized for the search results by using the best SEO practices as well as the latest strategies for SEO content.
We will discuss this in greater detail later where we provide you with the best SEO content writing guide checklist.
Write drunk; Edit sober
I personally believe this quote to be an excellent piece of advice. The fact is that as soon as you have your outline ready, you will be less prone to making any mistakes in structure.
Moreover, you have the freedom to write down your wonderful thoughts. Do not bother about any grammatical blunders that you might produce in the process.
However, before you actually publish, make sure that you edit the article thoroughly. You can take a little break after you end up finishing writing. After the break, come back for the editing process.
If you do not have strict deadlines, you can even take a day off before you end up editing the article.
This way you can actually look at your content from a completely fresh perspective. You can even find the silly mistakes that can ruin your impression and reputation as a writer. Click on this post for more extensive editing for content writing tips.
Now, check out our next part of the content writing guide.
Tips To Become a Better Content Writer
This part of our guide to content writing will help you improve your skills as a content writer. We are providing many useful content writing tips here, so check them out thoroughly!
1. Choose any kind of content writing that you like
Decide the specific type of content writer you wish to become.
The fact is that the scope of content writing is immense. After all, there are simply so many different kinds of content that you can actually specialize in. Some examples include blog writing, academic writing, website content writing, SEO content writing, copywriting, video scriptwriting, podcast scriptwriting, and more!
Moreover, you can choose to work as a content writer in almost any domain that you like. Some examples include fashion blogging, technical content writing, journalism content, sports writing, marketing writing, creative writing, and educational content among others.
It is certainly possible for you to focus on several domains or types. That’s absolutely fine. However, each one of those types ends up coming with its own set of nuances and challenges.
As such, in the beginning, it is generally always better to keep your focus narrow. You must do so based on your given expertise level as well as interest areas.
2. Develop relevant and exciting ideas
Did you know? Huffington Post publishes almost 2000 blog posts every day. That is just one single site.
Imagine the number of blog posts that get published online every single day all over the world.
As such, regardless of whether you are writing for a customer or yourself, you have to make your content stick out. Else, it may get lost.
Here are a couple of content writing tips to assist you with this:
Utilize an online content curation tool to discover the trending topics in your space. At that point, in light of your ability level, think of a lot of themes.
After choosing the theme, look at existing content around the topic, and discover how to make your post interesting. Possibly you can investigate another point, or utilize an alternate tone or even content format. You can even give more actionable details and knowledge on the same
Figure out how to do a content gap analysis utilizing SEO tools. You’ll find plenty of them online and discover keywords as well long-tail keyword phrases that your content can target.
You can even use free headline generators to create lots of topic ideas in just a short time.
3. Improve Your Research Skills
A content writer must always perform enough research. This is especially the case in this era of the internet. Otherwise, you will be considered lazy. After all, there is just so much information and data available online. You must use research to structure the content better. This way, you can make your content more insightful and authoritative.
Here are a few content writing tips to help you develop into a better researcher:
- Much before you start, you must gain a complete and thorough understanding of the context. Why are you writing the content? Who are you writing the content for? What’s the preferred tone for your target audience, the format, and the expertise level?
- You must always verify the credibility of the data or information you provide. Check their Domain Authority and discover how popular they are. Always read the comments. Perform a quick Google Search and check the reviews about the sites.
- You must narrow down the limits of your research by jotting down a research question. This question should be clear, concise, and focused.
- Always keep your research fully organised. These days there are several online tools available that can help you save the notes and even screenshots for use later. There are also tools to manage bookmarks and even citations.
- Learn some hacks for Google search. They will help you complete your research much faster than before.
- If your chosen topic is too broad or complicated, break it up into smaller pieces. Then, sequentially perform your research instead of doing them all at once.
You can learn hacks for Google Search easily by clicking on that link.
Worried about research? Stop worrying and contact the professional content writers at Cogito Software.
4. Draft Outlines Better
Learn how to draft elaborate outlines so that you can decrease your writing time.
Making a strong outline can lessen your composing time significantly. You will have the option to remain consistent all through. Your center argument will be flawless. Moreover, you won't lose your idea part of the way through while writing the post.
Here is our guide to content writing for drafting effective outlines for your content:
- Jot down the title and mention the central point, idea or question that you are aiming to explain or answer.
- Jot down the chosen target audience you are aiming at as well as the end objective of your written content.
- Develop a hook based on the central point to capture the attention of your target audience.
- Jot down how you will lead the conversation in your content to your points, solutions or arguments.
- Develop your main statement and then break it down into easier and smaller sub-points.
- Examine each sub-point. Discover how much you already have an idea about them and the remaining that is left to learn.
- Now, based on that, develop research questions and you can start performing the research.
This guide to content writing post can also help you out with outlines.
5. Practice Writing Distraction-Free
Writing and editing must never be performed together.
Instead, you must resist the impulse to edit. Allow the momentum to carry you on and make sure that you jot down all of your thoughts.
Here are some content writing tips to help you become a better and faster writer:
- In the morning, your mind is awake and fresh. This is the best time to start writing.
- Choose the right text editor. It should be compatible across platforms and offer a distraction-free interface. It should support voice typing and offer version control. Cloud storage is a great addition but it must let you edit offline.
- Always keep a notepad at hand. If something is affecting or distracting you, you can just write it down so that you can deal with it at a later time.
- Don’t stop and go back for editing anything, be it the typos, the formatting, or even the grammar mistakes.
- Use the Pomodoro technique. In this technique, write for 45 minutes and then take a break from the same for the following 15 minutes.
- If you are unable stop simultaneously editing, you can cover your screen with some cloth as you are typing.
- If you stumble on a roadblock while writing and do not know how to move forward, skip that section for now and do it later. Search for inspiration in different places and come back.
- Always keep your computer and your workspace de-cluttered.
- Always invest in an excellent headphone that offers noise-cancellation. Listen to some ambient noises or some instrumental music as you are working.
- Make sure to pause any and all notifications on the desktop as well as mobile to make sure that you block all distractions.
This guide to the Pomodoro technique can help you fuly grasp how to use it correctly
6. Edit Ruthlessly
To become a successful content writer, you must be a merciless proofreader, particularly on the off chance that you are outsourcing. An inadequately arranged draft that has spelling and language structure errors may well end your odds of holding the customer.
It is said successful writers invest 75 percent of their energy in altering, editing, and preparing. Ensure you completely edit before you present the draft. It will essentially lessen the back and forths, and you can proceed onward to the following project rapidly.
Editing may seem like a less glamorous skill to have, but it will always certainly be worth it.
Here is a content writing guide to improve your editing abilities:
- Read the writing aloud. It is an incredible method to spot mistakes, erroneous or wrong word decisions, and ungainly sentences.
- Start perusing the content from the end. This will assist you with finding blunders and furthermore, irregularities.
- Use online tools which will assist you with spotting spelling issues, punctuation mistakes, wrong usages, tonal errors, and unseemly sentences.
- Edit out words that make you sound uncertain or unconfident wherever appropriate.
- Develop an editing checklist for your editing with the goal that you don't need to do everything simultaneously. For example, start with chopping down long sentences.
7. Always keep publishing
Regardless of whether you are writing for yourself, consistently publish your posts. For example, make it openly available. This will not only help improve your writing ability and your confidence levels, it will also assist you with building a strong portfolio and increase visibility.
Here is a guide to content writing to keep in mind while publishing your content:
- Check the various free platforms for blogging online. Then, select the one that is easy to use and is applicable to your intended interest group.
- Ensure that you optimise the URL, the post title, and the meta description of your post.
- Distribute your post across all your social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Don’t forget to add the link of your post to your online portfolio as well as your LinkedIn profile.
- When you are beginning, never compare your post with that of somebody else's. Never set your aim or benchmarks like that. Rather, mean to improve from your last post.
It is normal to feel that your post isn't anyplace close to different articles on a similar theme. Be that as it may, this is this is one route you would prefer not to go down. It can shatter your self-confidence and end up leading you to fixate over every word that you ever compose.
Remember, it takes time and some effort to create flow, lucidity, and consistency. In this way, remain solid, be patient, and continue putting your content out there.
8. Become a better reader
Improving reading habits can help you become a more effective and better writer and is a essential content writing guide tip.
All the best content writers are unquenchable readers. The fact is that the more you actually read, the more you're presented to top notch writing.
Before long, without acknowledging it yourself, you will begin understanding the components of the content, and you'll gradually end up executing them in your composition.
All the more significantly, it will assist you with learning and comprehending various points in which you can move toward a theme, how to outline your story, how to keep up your flow and how to grow new thoughts. The benefits are simply enormous.
9. Pick up Extra Skills
As a good content writer, you need more than just writing skills.
Knowledge of skills such as SEO, image editing, content marketing, and even social media marketing can be immensely useful. They can boost and support your employability. It implies you have the ability handle content start to finish and not simply just the writing part.
Companies can reduce the amount of energy, time, or money invested this way. In addition, design, social and SEO are the 3 teams that you have to work with as a content writeer. So, a basic understanding of these fields will help you work and collaborate more in a more meaningful way.
Here are a few things that you should learn as a part of our guide to content writing:
- Keyword optimization
- Image optimization
- Internal linking
Content Marketing And Social Media Marketing
- Content distribution websites
- Social media trends
- Social copywriting
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Photoshop
It can be difficult to get all the skills necessary. If so, Cogito Software can help with our wide range of services.
The 25-Point Checklist Guide to Content Writing for SEO
The content writing guide for search engines is not necessarily difficult.
Here is a checklist guide to content writing which will help you ensure that your content is completely optimized for the readers, search engine crawlers, and also your marketing goals. This will be useful even if you don't want to become a SEO content writer.
1. Know Your Goal.
Before you begin writing for SEO, you have to know what purpose it serves. Will it be top-of-funnel content or the bottom? Moreover, what activity is the content attempting to motivate?
2. Know Your Audience.
It is equally important to know who the content is meant for. Once you know the audience you’re writing for you will find it much easier to create content in a way that is engaging and relatable. If you’re unsure who your target audience is, there are many ways to do so.
3. Know the headline.
Always have a specific headline in place before you begin writing. It will help in guiding you through the writing and the structuring of the content.
4. Write Over 300+ Words.
In majority of cases, SEO content must be 300 words at least. Beside from some types of product descriptions and some category pages, any content under 300 words is risking being too superficial to be useful.
5. Use Active Voice.
The use of active voice keeps your readers engaged and interested.
6. Always Write Unique Content.
Google gives priority to unique content. Never copy any content or reuse any product descriptions which has been given to you by any source.
7. Short Sentences.
The fact is that concise writing ends to be easier and is surely more interesting to the reader. When you are editing the content, check for unnecessary words which you can remove.
8. Cite Sources.
When you provide stats or quotes, ensure to provide a correct source for the data. your readers will appreciate knowing the source of your stats. Moreover, linking to some high-quality sites will improve your SEO.
9. Use Subheadings.
Readability is a significant piece of SEO content writing. Subheadings separate your content and make it simpler to peruse or skim.
10. End with CTA.
Recollect the objective of the content? Incorporate a call-to-action toward the finish of the post to help that objective.
11. Add the primary keywords at least once.
It's nothing to be surprised about that you should utilize the keyword you're attempting to rank for a few times in the content.
12. Use your primary keyword in the following:
- First 100 words
13. Add secondary keywords.
Avoid repeating the same keyword multiple times by using synonyms and even words that are semantically related. The fact is that Google already knows that those words are related. Moreover, it also makes the writing feel more natural.
14. Use keywords naturally.
Google is showing signs of improvement at distinguishing unnatural keyword utilization.
15. Internal Links.
Keep the attention of the readers for longer by including different internal links to the relevant pages.
16. Keywords in the anchor text.
When linking internally, utilize important keywords as your anchor text.
17. Link to high-quality external sites.
Add outbound links to external sites to provide credit and also to cite sources.
Meta-data & URL:
18. Add a meta description.
A meta description is not a technical ranking factor. However, it affects whether a searcher clicks your link or not.
19. Meta descriptions must be less than 300 characters.
All meta descriptions will have a character limit. Don’t go over 300 characters. In that case, the last sentence can be cut off, making it meaningless.
20. Primary keyword in meta description.
Using the primary keyword in your meta description will reinforce what the webpage deals with.
21. Primary keyword in alt tags.
Using the primary keyword in the alt tags of impages improves SEO. Also, ensure to save your image file with the chosen primary keyword in its filename.
22. Primary keyword in the URL.
Using the keyword in URLs will tell not only search engines but also readers about what the webpage is about.
23. Test headlines.
Never settle for the very first headline that you write. Always create with a few more ideas. Then choose the best.
24. Revise and edit.
After you’re ready to finally publish, always perform a last edit to check all errors again like spelling and grammar.
25. Double Check links.
When performing the final edit, always check the links. Ensure that they work and lead to the correct website.
It does not matter how experienced a content writer or SEO copywriter is, they will always go through the steps mentioned when creating and writing content. With this, we come to the end of the guide to content writing.
As a content writer, you must take the production of content and content strategy seriously. In other words, you must think of yourself as being a professional content writer or even as a content manager. That includes becoming familiar with the steps mentioned in this content writing guide.
No matter what you create, the creative writing process will remain the same. As a content writer, in essence, you are a creative professional.
I hope this content writing guide has helped you.